Monday, November 30, 2009

Creative Pizza Combinations

Lately I've been on a homemade pizza kick. But basic pepperoni won't do here in the ValleyWriter household. No; we like toppings that are a little more inspired - like my Valley Cowboy Pizza with fresh corn and BBQ chicken.

Now that corn season is over, however, we have to move on to other options. Within the last couple of weeks, we've come up with:

Chicken, Bacon & Gouda with Honey BBQ Sauce

and

Chicken, Artichoke, Bacon & Gouda with Garlic Cream Sauce

Out of the 2, I like the latter combination best. The garlic cream sauce was just a lovely change of pace from typical red sauces (or BBQ sauce - as we often use). Here's the recipe:

Chicken, Artichoke & Bacon Pizza

Ingredients

Your favorite pizza dough

Garlic cream sauce:
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salted butter
2 tsp. flour
1 cup fat-free half-and-half

Toppings:
1 small jar artichoke hearts, drained
4 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, sliced thin
3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces

Method
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add flour and mix into a paste. Slowly add half-and-half, stirring constantly so flour mixture dissolves. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens.
In a skillet, cook bacon over low heat until crisp. Add chicken thigh pieces and cook until no longer pink.
Pre-bake crust for 10-12 minutes before adding toppings. When done, spread the garlic cream sauce on the bottom, top with bacon and chicken pieces, artichoke hearts and slices of Gouda cheese. Bake another 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted.


So - I showed you mine - now you show me yours. What are your favorite pizza combinations?

14 comments:

Jenn said...

Pizza makes the world go round. (No pun intended) I like spinach, fresh tomato, pesto and maybe a little bit of chicken on mine. But I never stick to one topping.

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans said...

Chicken Bacon and Gouda? You are killing me here! Mouthwatering. I like fresh ricotta cheese and mushrooms with a tangy tomato sauce on a thin, grilled crust. Mmmmm.

rheumablog said...

That pizza sounds luscious. I've copied it for my recipe file.

I like putting rinsed, canned black beans or white beans on homemade pizza with red sauce, along with various cooked veggies, plenty of garlic (fresh or powder), salt and pepper to taste, and cheese. Monterey Jack mixed in with mozarrella is a favorite. I season with Italian seasoning or, when I want a subtler taste, herbs de Provence.
-Wren

MrsLavendula said...

i love pizza and i could eat it with any topping but i love it with cheese: mozarella, parmesan and kesong puti (a local white cheese) delicious!
great photos!

Table Talk said...

Wowee...these are fantastic looking pizzas. I really like your Chicken, Bacon, and Gouda combination. We like to add caramelized red onion, wild mushrooms, and truffle oil (and cheese of course!)

Patty said...

Wowzers! Bacon? Gouda? Artichoke? What an incredible combination of textures and flavors! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Tangled Noodle said...

We have Pizza Night Thursdays but because I get home late from class on those evenings, we stick with our standby frozen pizza. After seeing these awesome combos, though, I think I can muster the motivation to make a (semi-) homemade one this week!

One of our most favorite combos is salami and gorgonzola cheese . . . I can hardly wait for Thursday now! 8-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love love love homemade pizza! I love these combinations!

Kathryn said...

OHMYGOD...you are my HERO. I could practically SMELL that heavenly pizza....

Wait.

Oops...Connor's making Ellio's in the kitchen. My bad.

My breadmaker makes the dough, but I can't get it round and it always tastes funny. We called it "splat" pizza, 'cause it reminded da boys of bugs on a windshield.

How do you make yours look/smell so GOOD???

PS: I like mushrooms & onions...yum!

ValleyWriter said...

Kathryn - I used to use the breadmachine, too, but then it broke! I now make it by hand using the same bread machine recipe (just knead the dough for about 5 minutes and let it rise for 1 hour). I shape it by pressing it outward from the middle of pizza pan to the edges. Presto! Circle-shaped dough!

But you know what - a pre-made dough would work, too!

Karine said...

Your pizza sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

stephchows said...

oh wow! those are some seriously great combos!! I'd love to have a slice of the first one for sure :)

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.