Sunday, November 8, 2009

Celebrating National Pomegranate Month - Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce

November is National Pomegranate Month. November is the perfect time to celebrate pomegranates, since they ripen in the fall and are at their freshest. What's more, I've discovered they pair amazingly well with the other flavors of fall. Cranberry, butternut squash, turkey - pomegranate goes with it all!

You can find pomegranate as whole fruit, fresh juice and as a liqueur. It's this last incarnation that I was lucky enough to get a sample of this past week. PAMA pomegranate liqueur is real pomegranate juice blended with vodka and a touch of tequila.


It's a beautiful cherry color and tastes slightly sweet, but still packs a little tartness at the end. It's tastes smooth and fresh, unlike some other mixers out there that are just too fake for my taste. PAMA would be great in a pomegranate martini (one of my favs!) or one of the many other cocktail recipes they have.

But I decided to forgo the cocktail route and instead incorporate the PAMA liqueur in place of the orange liqueur I usually use in my homemade cranberry sauce. Oh heavens! The pomegranate and cranberry flavors go so well together; they make for a lovely, tart sauce that really wakes up your taste buds. This will definitely be making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table. To boot, the recipe is super simple.



Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce
(Makes about 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh cranberries
4 Tbsp. PAMA liqueur, divided
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water

Method
In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, 2 Tbsp. PAMA liqueur, sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover (to avoid cranberries popping all over the place), reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer 10 minutes.

Remove sauce from heat and mash berries with a wooden spoon. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. PAMA and let cool. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. (The sauce will thicken and set as it cools.)

Later, I'll post the amazing turkey breast I served this with. The pomegranate cranberry sauce really sends it over the edge!

9 comments:

Dreamfarm Girl said...

I am definitely going to try that. I always make my own cranberry sauce, but this will give it extra spunk. thanks.

Jenn said...

Ooo...I like that. A nice little twist to the traditional cranberry sauce. I'll have to try this one out for when Thanksgiving comes.

Stacy said...

Great idea. I love your awesome twist on a classic!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I've seen this liquer in stores, and thought about buying it...and haven't. This sounds so delicious though, I might need to splurge and get a bottle!

Kathryn said...

Oh, yum! So, I can buy one for drinking and the other for eating?

How handy is that??

Sounds delicious! And Connor loooves cranberry sauce.

YAY!

Table Talk said...

Now that's having fun with your cranberry sauce--I haven't tried this brand. Glad to hear it still holds a true pomegranate flavor without being too sweet.

{kiss my spatula} said...

fantastic idea! love it! can't wait to give it a try!!

Mae said...

I like this idea... it really puts the "sauce" in the cranberry sauce! :) :)

Karine said...

Your pomegranate cranberry sauce sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)