Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sometimes it's the simple things...

Sometimes in life I think we get caught up in the trappings of it all - pretty clothes, fancy cars, sparkly jewels. This goes for food too, like a double espresso caramel latte with a fancy design on the top or a dessert plate drizzled with three kinds of sauce and topped with spun sugar. Sure, they're nice to look at, but looks aren't everything. Sometimes it's the basic things that pull us back to our roots, evoke fond memories and stir a sense of belonging that are best.

OK - so get to the point, right? Strangely enough, I'm waxing poetic about toast. Yup, toast. The folks at Foodbuzz and Nature's Pride graciously sent me out 2 loaves of Nature's Pride bread (100% whole wheat and 12-grain). And as I pondered what to do with this great, wholesome bounty (make bread pudding? French toast? cranberry sausage stuffing?), I realized that I didn't need fancy trappings to enjoy it. I love toast and toast is what I was going to have!
First off, a little bit about the bread. Nature's Pride makes 100% natural breads with no high-fructose corn syrup, trans fat, or artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. The bread itself is hearty (and weighs in a 110 calories per slice), though I was surprised it didn't contain more fiber (only 3 grams per slice for the 100% wheat). It's the closest I've had to homemade bread from a store-bought loaf (a little fluffier on the inside and they'd have me 100%!).

After toasting up my slices, I spread a touch of butter and honey on each. Yum! It brings me right back to my childhood when Nanny (my grandmother) would take care of me on sick days and make me honey toast and tea with honey. Perfection on a plate, in my opinion. While it's my favorite way to have toast, I'll really take it any way I can get it - plain, with butter, with jam, with apple butter, with peanut butter, etc. I haven't found a way yet that I don't like it!

So tell me, how do you like your toast?

8 comments:

Cook Japan said...

at the moment i'm loving nice buttered toast with some tuna mayonnaise and cracked black pepper on top

Jenn said...

I loke my toast with butter and some sugar sprinkled on top or with a nice spread of nutella. Or even a nice PB&J or a butter and jam. I guess I don't have much of a single favorite.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love this post! You can wax poetical about toast anytime. I am a butter on toast person, but I also like peanut butter. Roberto is all about the nutella!

ValleyWriter said...

Sadly enough, I have to admit I haven't had nutella in years. (Could be even a decade!) Might have to get a jar soon - sounds like it's a popular toast topping!

Food o' del Mundo said...

This is the BEST post I've seen on the Nature's Pride bread - simple and straight up. Great job!
~ Mary

Diana Bauman said...

Love this post. I will also be posting on Nature's Pride and love how simple your post is. Nothing's better than toast with butter for me. Over a cup of coffee, heaven! By the way, I also have a recipe on my blog for homemade Nutella, so good!!

ValleyWriter said...

Oh Diana - I'm off to check out your homemade nutella recipe. Maybe I can justify making a small batch better than buying a big jar (which will tempt me too much!).

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I gotta check out Diana's nutella recipe too! I bet it is much better than the store bought stuff - even though it is an icon.