Monday, October 19, 2009

A little pick-me-up

I've been under the weather for the last few days. Probably the flu, my doctor says. Whatever it was - it wasn't fun. I sat on the couch for 4 days watching bad reality TV (but it always feels so good!) and sleeping. I think my greatest accomplishment on Thursday was putting a load of laundry in the washer. Mind you, it only made it into the washer. Mr. ValleyWriter had to finish the drying and folding. Friday and Saturday, I graduated to unloading the dishwasher. All by myself - woot! woot!

Yeah, so almost needless to say, I wasn't doing any cooking. It helps to be able to stand for more than 10 minutes at a time when you're cooking...

Today, I'm starting to feel a little more like myself. Tired, for sure, but also starting to get sick of crackers and chicken soup. So, tonight I decided to make myself a little pick-me-up treat. My accomplishments of the past few days (or lack thereof) have not included going to the store, so I had to come up with something using what I had on hand. And guess what that was? Yup - APPLES! (Sorry - I swear, we're almost finished with the apples - but this recipe really is a good one to share!)

Mr. ValleyWriter said he wasn't interested in sweets (what?? maybe he's watching his figure to fit into his Halloween costume...), so I was making dessert for 1. And when it comes to dessert for 1, nothing's easier than a baked apple.


It's sweet, yet light, and oh so easy.

Baked Apple for One

Ingredients:
1 medium apple
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. dried cranberries
1 tsp. crushed mixed nuts
1/2 c. water

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut out the center of the apple, including the seeds, leaving the base intact.
Mix brown sugar, cranberries and nuts and spoon mixture into the center of the apple.
Place apple in pie pan and pour water into the bottom of the pan.
Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes until apple is tender.

When you break open the apple, the juices and center ooze out onto your spoon. Yum!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Looks like Mr. ValleyWriter missed out on a yummy looking dessert.

doggybloggy said...

well like they say "an apple a day"

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Love baked apples!

Table Talk said...

I still make these every year (and love them)---with cinnamon for me.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I love baked apples. This is the best combo of yummy+healthy!

Kathryn said...

Oh, yum! I'm making your applesauce recipe (YES, for ME it's a recipe...being somewhat culinarily-challenged) tomorrow! I'm also making Taylor the biggest batch of chili I possibly can. I figure it shud take him about 4 days to devour it. I'll keep you posted!

Glad you're feeling better, sweetie!

alwayswinner786 said...

Yummy! Apple is my all time favorite fruit.You make it more delicious. Thanks for sharing.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Oh no! I am so sorry you were sick! :-(
But I am glad you are feeling better, now!
I haven't had baked apples in FAR too long!

ps - I love your new profile pic.

the epicurean's market said...

Bakes apples are the BEST! It's one of our favorites this time of year.