Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall in the Valley

Last night we had our first frost here in the Pioneer Valley, which means fall is officially here to stay. The likelihood of a surprise rash of warm weather is all but a distant dream at this point. Fortunately, with fall comes crisp air, apples and pumpkins, and beautiful colors on the trees.

Today Mr. ValleyWriter and I took a hike up Mt. Tom to check out the fall foliage. We took the access road that they use to service the antennas at the top of the mountain. It's paved, so the footing is fairly even. But it's also basically just a steep, straight shot to the top:
(Not recommended for anyone with knee problems! Trust me, my knees, which have been a lot better lately, felt this one!)

Along the way, we were totally surprised to look just to the side of the road and find this little guy watching us:

Once we got to the top, we knew the steep, hour-long hike had been worth it, when we were treated to beautiful views of the Valley:


We even managed to find our house!
Ever since we moved in last year, we've been trying to catch a glimpse of it from the mountain, knowing we should be able to see it, since we can see the summit from the backyard. Guess we finally got the right angle (I'm such a little kid - I was so excited about this!).
I'm spending the rest of the afternoon holed up in the kitchen with my crockpot, stockpot and a mess of apples. Stay tuned to see what I come up with!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Gorgeous photos. I think I'm going to have to yank out the crockpot as well to deal with my mass of apples. I cannot believe you had a frost already!

lk (Healthy Delicious) said...

gorgeous! looks like a fun day!
we havent had frost yet (Id cry!) but I could see my breath this morning when I took the dogs out.

ValleyWriter said...

Kelly & LK - The frost was a little disheartening - but at least I can say we haven't had snow yet! (Though, believe it or not, flurries are in the forecast for the end of the week!!!)

Miranda said...

Wow. Beautiful pics.
I really miss living in a rural area where you can take small hikes in the woods.
I grew up in Ohio where it was amazing in the fall. I miss that.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

So pretty! We don't get fall color like this...it's just been raining. and raining. and raining. It'll stay green, until one day in December, it'll get cold and all the leaves will fall. Oh well, it's Texas! Lovely photos.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love that you got to see your house! :)

Yeah hiking Mt. Tom is no joke! But it is quite beautiful and definitely worth it!

Julie from Life Domestic said...

What beautiful views! Thanks for sharing the awesome photos of the foliage. I am a native New Yorker (finger lakes region) but now live in FL I so miss fall. It's my favorite season. LOL I just realize I say that like FL doesn't have fall! We do, it just isn't pretty, everything dies and turns brown!

Table Talk said...

What a beautiful day--hike--photos. Gorgeous views!

traveleatlove said...

Beautiful! Makes me miss the valley, I barely ever get out there anymore!