Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another Great Year of Pioneer Valley Apple Picking

Mr. ValleyWriter and I took advantage of a few sunny, warm hours this past weekend (trust me, they've been too far and few between here in the Pioneer Valley lately) to go on our annual apple picking trip. Last year, we went to Round Hill Orchard in Southampton (check out that experience here). This year, we decided to try a different place and wound up at Dickinson Farm in Granby.

The farm is located right off Rt. 202 in Granby, but the apple barn itself is down a side road. I'd suggest doing what we did and going to the farm first to check out their pumpkins, mums and other goodies and get directions. This past weekend they were picking Cortland apples (you can call the apple barn at 413-467-3715 to find out what they're picking that particular day). They only offer 1 size - 1/2 a bushel bag for $20. That's a lot of apples when you're getting all one kind (about 20 lbs.), but Cortlands are very versatile, so we went for it.

The trip starts with a tractor ride out to the trees. Once there, they tell you where the trees are that are harvesting and let you at it. The day we went, the trees were laden with fruit, so you didn't have to do much hunting to find the apples:


Of course, that didn't keep me from getting right in the middle of everything, as usual:



I was a little disappointed that we didn't get the experience of hunting through the trees seeing what kinds of apples we could find, but the views made up for it:

Tonight I made a batch of applesauce and this weekend I have plans for an apple cake - stay tuned!

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wow! I've never made applesauce! Of course, I can't make much of anything...except smoke.
I DO know that cortland apples make the best apple pies...right?
I think so.
Great photos!

ValleyWriter said...

Yes, Kathryn - cortlands are great for apple pie and other baked goods (apple cake, apple bread, etc.). I bet you can make more than smoke - and applesauce is a super easy recipe to start with!

Jenn said...

I've never been apple picking. I'd love to go one day. The season looks perfect for it.

When you mentioned applesauce for some reason pork chops just came to mind. lol.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Looks like a great day out! I would love to go apple picking! Maybe next year! :)

ValleyWriter said...

Jenn - yes! We have to go next year! I grew up apple picking in Vermont - it's still my favorite place to go!