Sunday, September 13, 2009

Oh. My. Apple Fritters! (with vanilla bean glaze)

Last week, Kelly at Evil Shenanigans posted a recipe for Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze that had me drooling over the computer screen and craving apple fritters. The craving hit hard last night... at about 7 o'clock... when I had no time to let a yeast dough rise. But that didn't stop me from having my apple fritters, once I found this recipe from The Picky Apple that relies on baking powder as its leavening agent.

I used The Picky Apple's recipe for the fritters almost exactly, just adding a 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg in with the cinnamon and using 1 small apple, rather than measuring out 1 cup exactly. (The Picky Apple doesn't say how many this recipe is supposed to make, but I got about a dozen golf ball-sized fritters.)

I did my own thing with the glaze after I spied a lonely vanilla bean calling to me from the spice cabinet. The beautiful flecks of fresh vanilla paired amazingly with the light, sweet dough of the fritters. Mmmm, mmmm, mmm - I dare you to try and eat just one!

Here's my recipe for the vanilla bean glaze:

Ingredients:
1 vanilla bean
1 c. confectioner's sugar
about 1 Tbsp. milk

Method:

Split the vanilla bean lengthwise down the middle and scrape out the seeds with a knife.*
In a small bowl, mix together the confectioner's sugar and milk until smooth (you may need to add more milk just a small splash at a time to get the right consistency; it should be smooth and glaze-like, but not too runny).
Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the glaze and mix thoroughly.

That's all! Simple, but soooo tasty!

*Save the spent vanilla bean to make vanilla-infused sugar. Just place regular granulated white sugar in a jar with the vanilla bean and let sit at least a week. Use in place of granulated sugar in any recipe that could benefit from a little touch of vanilla.

10 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Oh, apple fritters...how I love you! Your post does remind me, however, that I need to restock on vanilla beans! Yum.

Jenn said...

Yum!!! Yours turned out great, too. ;-D I love the glaze. I think that's one thing I haven't tried making yet. Fritter and doughnuts. I've got to fix that pronto.

Miranda said...

I wanted to thank you for stopping by!
Your site is awesome! My kiddos would love these Apple Fritters. I am going to make them this weekend.

Miranda said...

I wanted to thank you for stopping by!
Your site is awesome! My kiddos would love these Apple Fritters. I am going to make them this weekend.

Jessie said...

okay you had me at apple fritters and vanilla bean glaze, I can just taste them by looking at the photo!

I need to buy some vanilla beans now :)

CheapAppetite said...

great looking fritters with a big chunk of apple inside. I wish I could get my hands on some:) Thanks for sharing.

doggybloggy said...

these look great - little apple poppers that I could pop and pop and pop...

Cara said...

So glad you liked the apples fritters! I love your addition of the vanilla bean to the glaze...definitely going to try that next time I make them. I think I'm going to have to make these again soon!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This is truly awesome!

Anonymous said...

Gruss von deinem D. :)