Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Apple Carrot Raisin Muffins

These muffins could really be called "everything but the kitchen sink" muffins, but I thought "apple carrot raisin" sounded a little more appetizing. I've been trying to clear out the fridge and pantry over the last few days, so we're now out of soy milk for cereal (which I normally have for breakfast) and cereal bars (which Mr. ValleyWriter usually has). So I knew I had to come up with something to get us through the next few mornings.

With apples, a couple of carrots and some greek yogurt hanging around, I came up with these healthy muffins. Honestly, I wasn't sure they were going to work (I had some reservations about the yogurt, especially since it was blueberry yogurt), but they actually turned out really tasty. Very moist, yet still light. These might well become a regular here, even when I'm not trying to clean out the cupboards!


Apple Carrot Raisin Muffins
(Makes 12)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. raisin bran cereal (I use Total® Raisin Bran, which has the added benefit of being loaded with vitamins and minerals)
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
6 oz. fat-free greek yogurt (I used blueberry because that's what I had, but plain or vanilla would work, too)
1/4 c. oil
2 small apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
2 carrots, grated

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix cereal, flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, beat egg, yogurt and oil until well mixed. Stir into dry mixture until evenly mixed. (NOTE: The mixture will seem VERY dry, but that's OK. The apple and carrots will add moisture.)
Fold in apples and carrots and mix well until batter is fully moistened.
Spray a muffin pan well with oil.
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full with batter.
Bake 18-20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Nice use of what you had. Isnt' it amazing that we think that something may not work ends up actually working out. Love it!!

Those muffins do look tasty. A nice chage from the cereal, eh?

Joelen said...

Looks delicious and I love the combo of apple, carrot and raisin all inside a muffin!

The Duo Dishes said...

Healthy eating, healthy eating, healthy eating. Thanks for the reminder! Plus, muffins are an awesome way to sneak in veggies for kids.

Lo said...

Love it when improvisation = success. Great work! Always a bonus when it's healthy too!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love muffins, moist, dense and delicious as they are, perfect even as a breakfast with a double espresso!

Angie's Recipes

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Sounds great! And I love that you experimented... And that it turned out well! :)

I would love one of these muffins right now with my coffee...

Tasty Eats At Home said...

what a great combo! Definitely falls into the creative category - I would have never thought to try a raisin bran cereal and blueberry yogurt, but obviously, it worked! Yum - and healthy!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I like these muffins a lot! Great way to use up those leftover items!