Friday, August 14, 2009

Mmmm... doughnuts

Mr. ValleyWriter has been craving fresh doughnuts for a couple of days. He suggested last night that we have them for dinner. I thought that wasn't the best idea in the world, but since he's such a good hubby, I thought I'd make him some for dessert tonight.

(You'll have to pardon the funny shape. As I've mentioned before, I don't have big round cookie cutters, but I do have a flower-shaped one, so that's what I used here. And for the holes, I used a soda bottle cap. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Or as I say - whatever works!)

Since it was my first endeavor making doughnuts, I wanted to go with a tried and true, amateur tested recipe. In my opinion, one of the best places to find such recipes is Allrecipes.com. The recipe I chose was for Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts, since Mr. ValleyWriter's favorite are the fluffy, light donuts (versus the cake-like ones). I followed the recipe exactly, except that I scaled it down to 4 servings. It still made 6 doughnuts and a bunch of doughnut holes.

For my first attempt, I think they turned out pretty good. The actual doughnuts were a bit more like fried dough, but I wonder if that's because my oil wasn't hot enough. (I really do have to buy myself a candy thermometer. I just keep forgetting!) The doughnut holes, however, came out perfect. Nice and fluffy and oh so delicious. Next time, I might just make all holes. All in all, it was a fun and tasty experiment!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I actually love the shape of them. Doughnuts don't really need to be the perfect round shape, right Your is unique. Makes eating a doughnut more fun.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I love the shape! very creative, too. These look really good. I've been wanting to make doughnuts lately, but that's one thing that I really don't need to learn to do. haha

Tangled Noodle said...

I love the shape, too (although, honestly, these could look totally alien and I'd still gobble them up!) It's too funny that Mr. ValleyWriter even suggested that doughnuts would make a good dinner - such optimism! 8-D

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Those look amazing! I agree with everyone, I love the shape! Sometimes we have to do nice things for our good hubbys!

5 Star Foodie said...

It is really a neat shape - these look like donut holes together in a ring! My daughter would totally love these!

Diana Bauman said...

Homemade doughnuts! Wow!! This is great, something I'm sure the family will love.

Raaga said...

So what if they're flower shaped, I think the doughnuts look really cute!

I made apple doughnuts once, when I was about 10 years old...haven't ever tried since.

You're tempting me to... :)