Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Healthier Fish Tacos

My husband's company is headquartered in southern California and ever since his first visit there, any time he hears mention of fish tacos, he tells me how wonderful they are in California and that we should try to make them sometime. I've always been reluctant to try since most of the recipes I've seen use battered, fried fish. While I think fried foods are OK once in a while, I don't want them to become part of our standard fare - and I don't want to deal with the mess of cooking them at home!

Finally, I stumbled upon a batter-free recipe for Baja Fish Tacos (from Ortega). I made it a few times, substituting and changing things along the way until I came up with the version that we love - and that our waistlines love, too! These fish tacos are light, yet pack a nice flavorful punch. They're also very versatile (which I figured out from all my experimenting).

Here's what I ended up with (as usual, this recipe serves 2):

Ingredients
1 6 oz. container nonfat Greek yogurt
1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lime juice
12 oz. firm white fish (I've used both cod and tilapia), cut into 1" pieces
6 6" flour tortillas (fajita size)
Salsa and chopped lettuce (or cabbage) for toppings

Method
In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning and Greek yogurt. Mix well.
In another bowl, combine remaining seasoning, olive oil and lime juice in a small bowl. Add fish and toss to coat. Pour into a skillet over medium heat. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until fish is cooked through and flakes easily.
To prepare tacos, spread about a tablespoon of yogurt mixture onto a flour tortilla. Top with fish, lettuce (or cabbage) and salsa. Enjoy!


9 comments:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

these look great! I love fish tacos too.

Jenn said...

Mmmm...It's been a while since I've had fish tacos. I love the use of the greek yogurt.

Rebecca said...

fish tacos are one of my favs. i use to live in san diego seven years ago...and i still crave them. thanks for the recipe!

Alta said...

Wow, we must be on the same wavelength. I made fish tacos on Monday...haven't posted them yet though. They're quite different from yours, but yours look really delicious!

Teanna said...

I've never ever had fish tacos before and everyone tells me how good they are! This post just illustrated just how much I need to try them!

5 Star Foodie said...

Delicious-looking tacos! I love your lighter version!

Tangled Noodle said...

We fell in love with fish tacos in California, too! Maybe it's the atmosphere but they were so delicious; unfortunately, I've never been quite able to recreate them in MN. I will definitely give your recipe a try, though - it's great that it isn't battered and I'm totally all over the use of Greek yogurt!

Wandering Allyn said...

Yum, fish tacos! Cooking Light has a great recipe I've made a few times, if you're looking for another one to try!
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1559245

The Duo Dishes said...

Imagine living in the land of fish tacos (Los Angeles) and not having a good one It's probably more fun to make them at home!