Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yeast-Free Pizza Dough

I decided to make a nice, healthy Margherita pizza today... only to discover that I had no yeast at home. After a long day at work, I had no desire to go back out to get yeast, so I decided to try a no-yeast version. I fiddled with my usual dough recipe to substitute baking soda instead of yeast. It doesn't rise as much as regular dough, but I didn't really expect it to. Overall, I thought it was a nice, thinner-crust alternative to my usual dough.

I'll definitely keep it in the recipe book. If you find yourself in a similar yeast-less pinch, save yourself a trip to the store and give it a try!

No-Yeast Pizza Dough

Ingredients:
1/2 c. water
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda

Method:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl with your hands. Form in to a ball. Add more flour if dough is too sticky to handle.
Spread dough onto a pizza stone or lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake 5 minutes to set dough.
Add desired sauce and toppings and bake another 8-10 minutes until dough is golden brown and cheese is melted.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Neat. I made my first pizza dough ever today, but the old fashioned kind. LOL. I'll have to try this one for sure!!

Natalie said...

What an easy pizza dough recipe!

Kelly said...

I'm impressed with the substitution! I don't know that I would have been so adventurous, but it looked like it served you well. Hope you are feeling better as well. I could see why that would leave you unmotivated, but hang in there because I do enjoy your blog. :-)

ValleyWriter said...

Thanks Kelly!

myblissfulbites said...

Great job with the improvising! Looks delicious.

Nancy said...

I will give it a try. I am allergic to yeast and have been looking for a way I can have pizza again.

Nancy said...

I tried your recipe this evening. It worked out great! Now I can have pizza again even though I am allergic to yeast! Thanks a million!

ValleyWriter said...

So glad it worked for you, Nancy! Enjoy!