Sunday, July 12, 2009

When life gives you zucchini - make Zucchini Bread!

The great thing about zucchini (in my opinion) is that there's always a TON of it, come summertime. I love zucchini on the grill, baked in the oven, stir fried - and most of all, in zucchini bread!

It's moist and flavorful - a great breakfast or snack - and a great way to sneak in more veggies! My recipe uses less oil and less sugar than many traditional recipes - and you could actually swap out even more sugar for honey or agave, if you wanted. This is one of those recipes that's very forgiving - so go ahead and experiment. This freezes really well, so I always make 2 loaves at a time, but of course - you can just cut the recipe in 1/2 to make 1 loaf.


Zucchini Bread

(Makes 2 10" loaves)

Ingredients:
4 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cinnamon
5 eggs
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. applesauce
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. honey
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. shredded zucchini (2 medium zucchini)

Method:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Lightly grease 2 10" loaf pans.
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, honey and vanilla.
Add flour mixture and beat until well combined.
Stir in zucchini.
Pour 1/2 of batter into each loaf pan.
Bake 50-60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Let stand at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I've never had zucchini bread before. I love the stuff, too. It never occured to me to put it into bread. I mush try making it some time.

lk (Healthy Delicious) said...

I love zuchinni bread too! i never understand why people complain about having too much zucchini- i don't think thats possible!

Hummingbird Appetite said...

Hello! I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Kreativ blogger award!

ValleyWriter said...

Thanks Hummingbird!