Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kale Pesto

In this week's CSA share, we got a bunch of kale and a bunch of Swiss chard. I hadn't cooked with either, so I went in search of recipes. I actually found a bunch for Swiss chard that I liked, but not too many for kale. However, according to The Cook's Thesaurus (one of my favorite sites), the 2 are interchangeable. So, when I saw that you could make pesto out of Swiss chard pesto - I instantly knew that I was going to try it with kale. (I kind of made up my own recipe as I went along, so it's a little different that the Swiss chard one; see mine below.)

I served it up with whole wheat rotini and turkey sausage topped with a little shredded Parmesan for an incredibly yummy meal last night:


It doesn't quite taste the same as pesto made with basil, but it was very good in its own right. It tasted a little more earthy and fresh. I'm really hoping they have more kale next week so I can make up another batch of this. It was that good!

Kale Pesto
Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1/4 c. pine nuts, toasted
2 cups chopped kale (loosely packed)
1/3 c. freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Method:
In a food processor, pulse garlic and pine nuts until finely chopped. Add kale in small bunches, pulsing between each addition. Add cheese and pulse until mixture is finely chopped and well combined. Slowly drizzle olive oil into the mixture while mixing at low speed. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You can use this right away - or save it in the fridge for a couple of days. I put mine in a small glass jar with a little oil on top to help keep it from browning.

7 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

Great idea! This sounds like a really good variation on basil pesto.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

kale pesto! what a great idea! this sounds great.

I like to use kale in soups too.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Sounds great! My CSA share had kale this week, too. I made a pasta dish and I have some left over. I will give this pesto a try!

Jenn said...

Great idea with using Kale in pesto. I don't get too much kale in my diet I think I should.

Alta said...

Kale, I love kale! Why not use it in a pesto! Great idea.

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh no! for some reason, the recipe doesn't come up on my screen. 8-( No matter - I'm sure this did indeed taste delicious! I've only recently learned to like kale; I just saute it in olive oil and garlic, then add a little balsamic vinegar to take the edge off the bitterness. However, I like the sound of pesto and even better when it's on pasta!

ValleyWriter said...

Tangled - ack! Sorry the recipe didn't show up for you. Somehow the type size got messed up. I fixed it - hope you can see it now!