Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kale Chips: You can't eat just one!

I know what you're thinking - kale chips?!?!?! Yes, kale chips. A coworker mentioned she liked grilled kale and when checking out some recipes online, I found some references to baked kale chips, too. I wasn't sure I'd like them, since I'm not really a potato chip person. But I was cleaning out the crisper drawer today and found some kale from last week's CSA share that needed to be used up. I didn't feel like going outside in the rain to grill, so I figured I'd give the baked chips a try.

Oh My! These are addictive crisply little things! They have an instant crunch and then kind of dissolve in your mouth. If you're a true potato chip-lover, you'll probably be able to tell the difference. But to my potato chip-novice palate, these were a pretty good substitute. Best of all, I don't feel like I'm eating empty fatty calories (sorry potato chip fans!).

I just did "a little bit of this and a little bit of that," so you can barely call this a "recipe," but here goes:

Ingredients
4 large kale leaves
olive oil spray
sea salt in a grinder

Method
Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with aluminum foil.
Cut kale leaves off stems. Discard stems. Rip or cut remaining kale into potato chip-sized pieces.
Spread leaves out on the lined cookie sheets in a single layer.
Generously spray leaves with olive oil spray.
Grind 3-4 turns of sea salt evenly over each pan of leaves.
Bake 9-11 minutes until leaves are crispy and edges are just browned. (If they're still limp or soft, cook them a little longer, checking every minute or so. Don't let them go too long; they burn quickly.)

5 comments:

tastyeatsathome said...

I saw a recipe in one of my many cooking magazines not that long ago that talked about kale chips. I thought...hmm. And then forgot about them. I'm intrigued now that you say they were good! I would like to have a salty crunchy snack that I wouldn't feel so guilty about eating, this could be just the thing!

Cookin' Canuck said...

What an interesting idea! I"m rather fascinated by this recipe and have put it on my list of snacks to try.

Jenn said...

Nice. I usually like my kale in a salad, but having this as a snack is definitely a change up.

Mediterranean Turkish Cook said...

Never heard of it, but I think it's a clever idea. I am a fan of kale, so why not kale chips?

"Prof. Kitty" said...

I finally got around to making these! I heard it gets children to eat kale. And it worked. Thanks for the recipe!