Friday, July 31, 2009

Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies

We're headed to a family reunion this weekend and I was charged with making a dessert. I wanted something that didn't require utensils to eat (since we'll be at a picnic area), but that was still a notch above your basic brownie or cookie. Since I've been craving smores lately, I had a bunch of marshmallows on hand - so I figured, why not top brownies with marshmallows and chocolate chips?!

They are downright decadent - yum! I made them from scratch, but you could also just add the toppings to a box mix. Since I have a big family, my recipe is for a huge pan (17 x 12). You could make a regular 8x8 pan by using 1/3 of the ingredients (fortunately, the amounts all divide quite easily by 3; I don't know about you, but I hate trying to figure out what 2/3 of an egg is...).

Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies

Ingredients
1 1/2 c. white sugar
6 Tbsp. salted butter
6 Tbsp. water
3 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. cocoa
6 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda

2 c. marshmallows, cut into small pieces (or use minimarshmallows)
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Method
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 17 x 12 baking pan.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, butter and water. Stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and cocoa until chocolate is fully melted.
Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add flour and baking soda and beat until well mixed.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 25 minutes at 325.
Once the 25 minutes are up, remove brownies from oven, sprinkle with marshmallow pieces and remaining chocolate chips. Bake another 5-7 minutes until marshmallows are melted and just starting to brown on the tops.
Cool completely before cutting.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Chocolate-y goodness!!!! I'd love to have me a few pieces of that. Yum!!!!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Hello ValleyWriter. Good to hear your "voice". You sure know how to touch my heart with these brownies. Most people know that I'm a chocoholic, so these delightful treats are right up my alley. Thank you for the kind words and for this delicious recipe. Hope you've been feeling well. The heat and humidity have my body on the down side, so sadly, I'm back on meds. Boy am I ready for the Fall. Big hugs.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Sounds so good, I bet they were a hit! :)