Monday, July 27, 2009

Chicken Saltimbocca

As soon as I found out our CSA's sage was ready to be picked, I knew I had to make chicken saltimbocca. I've seen recipes for it in several magazines this summer and it always looks so good! I finally got to it last night, after picking up some fresh sage leaves at the farm.

I went with a slightly adapted version of the Martha Stewart Everyday Food recipe. I forgot to get white wine and didn't feel like going out for it, so I used chicken broth mixed with a little lemon instead. I also tried to cut down on the fat a bit.

Here's my version:

Chicken Saltimbocca
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
1/4 c. flour
freshly ground pepper
2 chicken breast halves (about 5-6 ounces each)
2 full, fresh sage leaves
4 additional fresh sage leaves, minced
2 thin slices of Prosciutto de Parma (about 1 ounce)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 14 oz. can light chicken broth (lower sodium, lower fat)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. butter

Method:
Spread flour onto a dinner plate. Sprinkle with a few grinds of fresh pepper. Swirl into flour to mix, then set aside.
Trim fat from the first piece of chicken. Lay plastic food wrap over the top of the breast and pound meat with a mallet until breast is 1/4-1/2" thick. Repeat with remaining chicken breast. Remove the plastic wrap. (The plastic wrap will just help keep the juices from flying everywhere. If you don't have it or don't want to use it, that's fine.)
Place a full sage leaf in the center of each breast. Wrap each breast with a piece of prosciutto, pressing the prosciutto into the chicken.
One at a time, place each breast onto the plate with the seasoned flour, flipping to coat each side of the chicken.
In a saute pan, heat 2 tsp. olive oil over medium heat.
Carefully place chicken into the pan. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked all the way through. (Chicken is ready to be flipped when it easily moves in the pan. If it sticks - let it go a bit longer.)
Remove chicken from pan and wrap in foil to keep warm.
Carefully pour chicken broth and lemon juice into the saute pan. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Boil for about 4-8 minutes or until broth is reduced by about 2/3.
Turn heat off and add butter and minced sage. Stir just until butter is melted.
Plate chicken and drizzle broth over top before serving.

I served this with summer squash and zucchini sauteed in a little kale pesto. Delish!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Looks delish! I haven't cooked with sage yet, but I love the flavour of it.

Jackie at PhamFatale.com said...

Love your dish. I have a bunch of sage growing in my garden and do not know what to do with it. I'll make your recipe and try to use sage (it's a pretty strong herb!)

figtree said...

Yum I have so much sage in my garden this will be perfect. I konw it will be a big hit in my house!!Much thanks.Figtreeapps

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. I would like to get updated with you new posts as I love to read your blog. Add me to your mailing list if you have any.