Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake

I had buttermilk and blueberries in the fridge, but didn't want to make my usual weekend pancakes, so I decided to try a coffee cake. Most of the recipes I have for coffee cakes call for sour cream, but I saw a recipe the other day that used buttermilk, so I figured I'd just try swapping out the sour cream in my favorite recipe with buttermilk. Turns out, it works!

I added a little cream cheese icing on the top for a bit more decadence, but it's good without the icing, too. Here's the recipe for just the coffee cake itself:

Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake

Ingredients
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. agave nectar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. blueberries

1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease Bundt pan.
Cream together butter, agave and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and baking soda.
Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well.
In a separate small bowl, mix together remaining white sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Pour 1/2 of batter into Bundt pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Then sprinkle 1 c. of blueberries on top of that.
Pour remaining batter into the pan. Top with remaining cinnamon sugar and blueberries.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool before removing from pan.

7 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Oh wow, VW, that looks so good! I love blueberry goodies! Coffee cake is one of my faves!

ValleyWriter said...

Thanks! Blueberries are just coming into season here - so we're putting them in everything!

Jenn said...

Nice! I'd take these over coffee. Mice way to change it up from the usual pancakes. Love the addition of the cream cheese icing. There's something about icing over baked goods that makes it sooooo good. ;-)

Miranda said...

I can't put into words how good this looks....

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Lovely recipe for blueberries. I love blueberries. I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks.

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sara said...

Hey, thanks for the award...took me forever, but i finally got it posted! You can check it out at:
http://www.svoortmeyer.bogspot.com