Friday, June 5, 2009

Southwest Turkey Wraps & Homemade Fig Bars - A healthy dinner & dessert!

Last night we dove into the huge head of green butterhead lettuce from our farm share to make Southwest Turkey Wraps.

These are based on the Southwest Chicken Wraps recipe from Good Housekeeping, except I used ground turkey. Normally I use the red pepper the recipe calls for, but I didn't have one, so I left it out. It was still just as good - and a great way to use up the lettuce without feeling like we were eating salad for the 4th day in a row!

I've been on a Fig Newtons® kick for a couple of weeks now (thank you prednisone), but I wasn't exactly thrilled with some of the ingredients (high fructose corn syrup & partially hydrogenated oils). So for dessert, I decided to make my own fig bars.



They turned out really delicious - I don't think I'll be going back to store bought any time soon! And since they're made with agave nectar, I feel a little less guilty about indulging in my cravings :-) If you want to try them out but don't have agave, I've posted the sugar equivalents at the end of the recipe.

Fig Bars
(Makes about 24)

Ingredients
Filling:
1 cup dried figs, chopped
2 cups water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup agave nectar

Cookie:
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 egg white
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour

Method
In a small saucepan, combine chopped figs, water, orange juice and 1/4 cup agave. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer about 1 hour until figs are soft and spreadable. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine butter and 1/3 cup agave nectar. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes until mixture is light and creamy. Beat in egg white and cream of tartar until mixture starts to stiffen. Add in vanilla and flour. Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
After dough and filling have chilled, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
On a well-floured surface, roll dough out into a large rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Cut in half lengthwise.
Spoon filling down the center of each strip. Fold sides of dough over the filling to fully cover.



Cut these long strips into smaller (1"-2") squares. Place each square seam side down on greased baking sheets.
Bake 14-16 minutes until lightly golden.

To make with sugar instead of agave nectar: Use 1/3 cup white sugar in the filling and 1/2 cup white sugar in the cookie dough.
Also raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees and reduce baking time by a couple of minutes if using sugar.

1 comment:

Tangled Noodle said...

These fig bars are great! I used to eat them all the time until I decided I needed to cut back on my packaged-foods noshing. What a great way to finish off such a healthy dinner.