Friday, June 19, 2009

Sometimes, simple is best - Sauteed Kohlrabi, Squash & Garlic Scapes

I mentioned last week that I got a little bulb of kohlrabi in our farm share. This week, I got some garlic scapes (the long, curly green shoots that grow out of garlic bulbs) and some summer squash. Now, I know what to do with summer squash. That's easy. But I'd never cooked (or eaten) garlic scapes or kohlrabi. But, I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

I strongly believe that simple is often best when it comes to cooking, so I decided to just thinly slice the kohlrabi and squash, mince the garlic scapes and saute everything. I served it with a side of country ribs (slow cooked in a honey barbeque sauce). It's not a fancy meal, but it was pretty darn good! The veggies were light and fresh, which turned out to be the perfect complement to the sweet, rich meat.



If you find yourself in possession of kohlrabi, garlic scapes & summer squash - you might want to give this recipe a whirl.

Sauteed Kohlrabi, Squash & Garlic Scapes

Ingredients
1 summer squash, sliced
1 kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
1 (foot-long) garlic scape, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
salt, pepper and celery seed to taste

Method
Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic scape and saute 1-2 minutes until scapes start to become fragrant. Add squash and kohlrabi. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and celery seed (I used about 1/4 tsp. of each). Stir and cook until squash and kohlrabi are tender (about 8-10 minutes).

5 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

What a delicious way to prepare squash. I've never heard of kohlrabi, I'll have to hunt it down and try it. Thanks.

Jenn said...

I love to saute my veggies whenever I can. I've never had kohirabi. This is actaully the first i heard of it I believe. I must keep an eye out for it.

Daily Spud said...

I'm not sure that I've ever eaten kohlrabi, but I'm trying to grow it at the moment - so if the plants survive to maturity, I'll have some idea of what to do with them :)

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

looks tasty! I don't think I've ever had kohlrabi.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I agree, simplicity is the best! :)