Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Roasted Beets

My parents must not have liked beets because they never served them when I was growing up. In fact, the only time I've ever had them before was when my father-in-law had me try some of his pickled beets last year. (Yes, I made it over a quarter of a century before eating my first beet - sad, but true.)

I thought the pickled beets were pretty good, but I'm not big on pickled foods, so I wanted to try something different with the beets I got in last week's time share. Upon the advice of my fine readers, I ended up roasting them. And now having had both pickled and roasted beets - I don't understand why beets get a bad rap. They're good! They were tender but not mushy, and had a slightly sweet, slightly earthy taste. Almost like roasted corn (as one reader previously noted).

To roast the beets, I scrubbed them and cut off the wispy roots. (The greens had already been removed.) I wrapped them individually in foil and then baked them at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes, until they were fork tender. Once they cooled, I peeled off the skins and sliced them up:


You could eat them plain, just like this, but I decided to make them into a little salad for my lunch today, again on the advice of my fine readers. I took a cup of beet slices, drizzled with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, a pinch of sugar and little olive oil. I let that marinate for about 5 hours, then topped with 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta. Yum!

So, if you think you don't like beets, but have never had them roasted - I urge you to give them another try. You don't know what you're missing! (Eh hum.... Mr. ValleyWriter - are you listening????)

2 comments:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

omg, same here! I only ever had them pickled (from a can!) as a kid and they were ok but not exactly something I;d get exited over. I tried them roasted over this past winter though and I actually CRAVE them now!I don't understand the beet-phobia.

Tangled Noodle said...

I think the only way I've had beets is in borscht soup! I enjoyed it very much but aside from the color, it didn't retain that beet shape. I'm game to try it roasted, especially since you've compared it to the taste of corn. How could it possibly not taste good? 8-)