Monday, June 8, 2009

Mountain View Farm CSA - Week 2

I picked up our 2nd week's share tonight on the way home from work. Lots of greens again this week (romaine, green leaf lettuce, arugula, bok choy and spinach), plus a few surprises....


Those splashes of color are kohlrabi (in purple) and strawberries (in red, obviously). The strawberries were pick-your-own, which, for future reference, I don't advise doing in 2" heeled shoes. But I managed to tip toe around and get my 3 quarts worth. They are sweet, juicy and absolutely beautiful:

I'm sure there will be strawberry shortcake in our future, and I might try my hand at strawberry jam. As for the other veggies, I see lots of salads over the next week. Not sure what I'm going to do with the kohlrabi (having never prepared it before), but I'll be sure to share whatever I come up with. If you have any ideas - let me know!

Before I run off, I thought I'd share some pictures from our hike up Mt. Tom yesterday. It was a beautiful day for a hike and we were treated to some incredible views:

Ready to hike!

A view of UMass Amherst

The town of Easthampton

Mountain View Farm - our CSA farm

5 comments:

kiss my spatula said...

gorgeous, simply gorgeous! both on the local produce and on where you live!

ValleyWriter said...

Thanks very much! We love it here.

Natalie D said...

Oh cool! I was thinking of doing a CSA but found a local produce market w/ great prices. beautiful pics!

ValleyWriter said...

Natalie - that's great that you were able to find a local market with great prices. I looked into Farmer's Markets, but the ones that are close by are open weekdays (when I'm at work!). The CSA has worked out great - and it's getting me to try new things, which is always fun!

curiousdomestic said...

Farmers markets are just opening around here, and I'm so excited. The hiking views are lovely! Thanks for sharing the photos.