Saturday, June 6, 2009

Maybe radishes & turnips aren't so bad, after all...

I mentioned earlier in the week that I really wasn't sure what to do with my radishes and baby turnips, as they're not something I eat very often. Radishes just aren't something I seek out, and I tend to outright avoid turnips (which is pretty easy since I only ever see them at Thanksgiving dinner). But I wanted to at least give them a try to see if I could fix them in a way I would like.

I ended up simply roasting them in olive oil, salt and pepper - and they were actually pretty tasty! Unlike the somewhat bitter cooked turnips I've had before, these little baby turnips were very mild and light. I included the radish greens, too, which added a bit of a peppery bite.

I served the roasted radishes and turnips with pan-seared pork chops and rice pilaf (for a surprisingly well rounded dinner considering I'm running on 4 hours of sleep today!). Here's the recipe:

Roasted Radishes & Baby Turnips

Ingredients
6 radishes with greens attached
6 baby turnips, greens removed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
sea salt
pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Drizzle 1 Tbsp. olive oil in the bottom of an 11 x 7 roasting pan.
Cut greens off radishes and chop in half.
Cut radishes and turnips in half (if small) or quarters (if large).
Place greens, radishes and turnips in baking dish. Grind fresh sea salt and pepper (about 4-5 grinds of each) over the top. Drizzle remaining olive oil on top and toss to coat.
Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes until radishes and turnips are tender.

1 comment:

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Wow, this looks so good! I've never heard of cooking a radish--always just had them in salad or raw with salt. Thanks for the idea!