Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chicken & Bok Choy Fried Rice

I had a big, beautiful bunch of bok choy from last week's farm share, so I decided to add it to a batch of fried rice. With such a big bunch (probably 2 pounds worth), I was able to cut down on the amount of chicken that I used, so this turned out to be a healthier version of my usual dish. And I love the color the green leaves add:


Chicken & Bok Choy Fried Rice

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. oil, divided
4 oz. boneless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 egg
1" piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large bunch bok choy (about 2 pounds), separated and chopped into 1" pieces
3 cups cooked white rice
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. cooking sherry
3 Tbsp. soy sauce

Method
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a wok over medium heat. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes.
Push chicken to the side and continue cooking until no longer pink.
Meanwhile, break egg into the wok. Scramble egg with spatula and cook through.
Remove chicken and egg from wok and set aside.
Add remaining oil to wok. Add garlic and ginger and saute just until garlic is fragrant.
Add bok choy and cook 7-9 minutes until tender.
Add chicken and egg back into the wok. Stir in rice.
Mix rice vinegar, cooking sherry and soy sauce together in a small pour. Pour over rice mixture and stir to mix. Cook 3-4 minutes until mixture is heated through.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

For me anything mixed into fried rice is a winner. Though Chicken and bok choy are pretty much on the top of my list.