Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Valley's best pancakes - finally replicated at home!

I've mentioned before that my favorite place for pancakes in the Valley is The Stables in Hadley, MA. And while Mr. ValleyWriter and I are still enjoying our fair share of meals out, like everyone, we've cut back a bit. We used to go for a full breakfast every weekend, but now it's more like every few weeks. On the weekends in between, we're on our own for breakfast - but boxed pancake mix simply won't do!

So, I set about trying to replicate The Stable's yummy buttermilk pancakes. The first time I mixed milk and buttermilk and the results were good, but not quite buttermilky enough. The next time, I used all buttermilk, but for some reason, the batter came out way too thick and the pancakes ended up being a bit gummy. Yesterday I tried it again with a little less flour, but they came out flat and tough. So this morning I headed back to the kitchen to give it another go. I tweaked the leavening agents and the fat and voila! Perfect buttermilk pancakes!


These are tender and fluffy - perfect for soaking up maple syrup. They're tasty enough to eat without syrup, too, but not many can pass up that sweet liquid gold when it comes to pancakes. Here's how to make these restaurant-quality pancakes at a fraction of the restaurant-price:

Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
(Makes about 6 4-inch pancakes)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
3 Tbsp. oil
1 1/4 c. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, baking powder and baking soda. Stir and let sit about 5 minutes until frothy. Add in egg and oil and beat with mixer on high for about 30 seconds. Add flour and sugar and beat until ingredients are just combined.
Let batter sit for 5 minutes.
Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter. Heat griddle over medium-low heat.
Pour about 1/2 c. batter onto griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles start to pop all over the surface of the pancake, then flip and continue cooking until both sides are golden brown.
Top with butter or maple syrup (or both) and enjoy!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Pancakes never fail to please, especially when they're homemade. Those look delish. congrats on replicating the Valley's best pancakes at home!

Tangled Noodle said...

I am Pancake Woman! I love all manner of pancake so this post is close to my heart (and stomach). Thanks for going through all those iterations of the recipe to come up with a perfect one!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Perseverance paid off huh?! They look great!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Great pancakes ValleyWriter. I love them at whatever meal time it happens to be. My daughter and I have even had them for a midnight snack after a later movie. Great recipe.

Anonymous said...

pioneervalleyma.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.