Saturday, May 30, 2009

Texas Caviar - Makes mouths, wallets & waistlines happy!

A couple of weeks ago, I had a change in my RA medications, which resulted in a flare. So to get things back under control, I've been on a round of prednisone. While the drug does wonders, it has a myriad of possible side effects, one of which is hunger. I made it through the first week unscathed, but this week, my appetite has come into full bloom. I'm like a 16 year old boy after football practice - watch out!

Of course, as we all know, the more you put in your mouth, the more of you there is to love... but not always in a good way ;-) It's been my mission this week to find tasty snacks to help me get through this insane hunger without feeling too guilty. My favorite find so far has been Texas Caviar:

Packed full of veggies, beans and flavor, this can be eaten with tortilla chips (the "Texas Toast Points" of the caviar equation) or as a side salad. The cilantro adds a refreshing earthiness that's perfect for warm nights out on the deck. Best of all, it's full of fiber and nutrients, so you can feel good about eating it (at least, I did!).

I got the idea from AllRecipes after entering black beans, corn and cilantro (which I had on hand) into their ingredient search. I ended up mixing and matching ingredients from 2 recipes (Best-Ever Texas Caviar and Cowboy Caviar) and tailoring it based on what we like and what I had on hand. The resulting recipe made a TON of this stuff; fortunately, it holds up well in the refrigerator for several days. The whole big bowl only uses about $5 worth of ingredients, so it would make a very economical party dip, too.

Here's what I did:

Ingredients
1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.5 oz.) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (11 oz.) can corn with red and green peppers
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chilies
1/4 c. sliced jalapenos
3/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Method
Combine beans, black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, jalapenos and cilantro in a large bowl.
In a small saucepan, combine rice wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar and garlic powder. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar fully dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Pour over bean mixture, stir and refrigerate at least 4 hours to let flavors come together.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm glad that you're doing ok. Side effects from medication always suck.

As for the dish, if it makes mouths, waistlines and especially wallets happy then you've got a winner here.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Looks delicious! I was recently introduced to this dish when a friend brought some over one evening. Now it is one of my favorites. Your version sounds wonderful!

The Paraplegic Chef said...

Oh this is mouth watering :) Can't wait to try it!

Ann said...

alwaysve anything that calls for beans..I'm tempted now.It looks so yumm and super healthy!

Tangled Noodle said...

Fantastic! I'm a bean fan so this hits the spot! Good for you for finding a healthy way to deal with unexpected side effects.