Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rhubarb Crumble Quick Bread

I bet you didn't guess a quick bread from my list of teaser ingredients the other day - or at least, I wouldn't have! The buttermilk would've thrown me right off, but it's what keeps this quick bread nice and moist. And the streusely crumble topping is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

That sweet topping is also a nice compliment to the slight pop of the rhubarb, which somewhat surprisingly holds up pretty well during baking.

I've only ever made pies out of it, so I guess I was expecting it to turn to mush like it does in pies. But nope - as you can see, there are bright little chunks of soft, but not mushy, rhubarb throughout this bread. Here's the recipe:

Rhubarb Crumble Quick Bread
(Makes 1 10" loaf)

Ingredients:
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1 egg
1 c. low-fat buttermilk
1 vanilla bean
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter, chilled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine sugar, apple sauce and oil. Mix until well blended.
Cut vanilla bean in half and scrape contents into sugar mixture. Whisk throughout the mixture so the vanilla is evenly distributed.
Add in egg and buttermilk and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and mix until ingredients just come together.
Fold in rhubarb.
Pour into greased loaf pan.
To prepare the topping, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Cut in chilled butter until mixture is crumbly.
Pour the topping evenly over the bread mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool 10 minutes before turning out of pan. Let cool at least another 20 minutes before cutting.

9 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Wow, I love the color of that rhubarb in the bread! I have never cooked with it, and I always thought it was red...

CaptnRachel aka Tha Pizza Cutta said...

I love this concept. My first rhubarb pie experience was surprisingly yummy but I could eat this bread every day. :D

ValleyWriter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ValleyWriter said...

Jenn - rhubarb can be red or green or somewhere in between :-) The stalks I got at the farmer's market were green (obviously). My google-foo tells me that green plants are apparently more productive than red ones and while shoppers often prefer the red ones, there's really no difference in taste.
Learned something new today!

duodishes.com said...

Very creative recipe! We've seen nothing like this anywhere.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

this sounds really good! I'm tempted to give rhubarb a try one of these days....

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Love this idea! Thanks for another option of What To Do With Rhubarb. This is the perfect amount for the little plant we have. I'm trying this recipe out and have 1 question--does the buttermilk go in when the egg does?

ValleyWriter said...

Sorry Prof. Kitty - yes, the buttermilk goes in with the egg. I updated the instructions now. (Geez - guess I'd better proofread a little more closely! Always my downfall....)
Hope you enjoy the bread!

Tangled Noodle said...

Very nice! My MIL has suggested I start harvesting my rhubarb but I'm being a bit lazy. This should light a fire . . .!