Thursday, May 14, 2009

My first farmer's market of the season

Mr. ValleyWriter and I bought a share in a local CSA farm this year, but as we wait for the first harvest - I'm itching for local produce. I had the day off today, so I decided to head down to the Holyoke Farmer's Market on High Street in Holyoke to see what they had to offer.

I'd never been to this farmer's market before, so I was pretty surprised when I got down there to find that they actually close down part of one of the busier streets in Holyoke (it's right in front of City Hall) for the market.


I thought it was a fairly decent turnout for a rainy day, but I'm sure it's much busier in the middle of summer. In the same vein, I knew not to expect too many vegetables, but I was a bit surprised to only see asparagus. I figured they might have had some nettles or early greens, but no such luck.

However, they did have tons and tons of flowers and vegetable seedlings. And on my way out, I was also lucky enough to stumble upon a table full of natural soaps.


The soaps were all made of only natural ingredients like goat's milk, essential oils and shea butter. I ended buying 2 bars - one hand deodorizing bar made with coffee grounds (great for getting onion/garlic smells off your hand) and one body bar made with almonds, cocoa, goat's milk and honey (it smells delish!).

So, I may have come away vegetable-less, but at least my skin will be soft and smell great :-) Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep making the farmer's market rounds until the veggies really come into season. Fortunately, there's only about 3 more weeks until the CSA's first harvest!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I love farmer's markets. Too bad there were any veggies to go around. But those soaps look neat. I have a friend who used to make natural soaps and sell at flea markets and farmer's markets.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

yeah, I always find the farmers market to be a big disappointment before mid-June or so. At leats you have asparagus! We still have shrivelled root veggies and apples!

Tangled Noodle said...

Yay for you! Our finally opened about a week ago although the full complement of vendors are not there yet. Still, it's nice to see this definitive sign of spring and summer!