Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mojitos!

I woke up to a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning today, so I decided to get outside and do some overdue gardening. I planted a few plants my mom brought down last weekend, did some weeding and watering, and set about trying to identify exactly what had come up and what was still waiting to come up. That's when I spotted it. The mint. The glorious mint flourishing behind a small shrub.

Last year when we first moved in, our neighbors had a glut of mint, so they gave us a bunch. My mom, who also grows mint but has no idea how to use it, was over at the time, so we made her a mojito. So enjoyed it so much that she had 2 (I think that may be a first). The next time she visited, she brought us some mint from her garden to transplant to ours. (I think she's expecting more mojitos this year!)

So, needless to say, when I spied the mint in full bloom this morning, I knew what was going to be on the menu this afternoon.

Mojitos!

I should note that the first time we made these, we didn't have any lime on hand so we made them without - and they turned out to be just as good. Limes aren't exactly a staple in our house and it's nice to be able to just throw together a cocktail with what we have on hand (in the liquor cabinet and/or garden, in this case), so we've created our own Minty Mojitos recipe - sans lime.

Minty Mojitos

Ingredients:
4-5 mint leaves
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 shot of silver, spiced rum
1/3-1/2 c. club soda
a few ice cubes

Directions:
Place mint leaves in the bottom of a scotch or collins glass (we don't have collins glasses - and I'm a lightweight - so I used a scotch glass). Top with sugar. Muddle mint and sugar together with a spoon until the mint is fragrant and broken into small pieces. Drop in a few ice cubes. Pour in rum and club soda. Stir and enjoy!

(If you have the lime on hand - add about 1 tsp. of lime juice and a slice of fresh lime in when you're muddling the mint and sugar for a traditional, less minty version.)

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Hello mojito!!!

It's wam and sunny right now and a mojito is what I need at the moment.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I love mojitos!! good to know they don't need the lime. I usually have some, but not always.

Tangled Noodle said...

We have mint growing like a weed in our front garden. Good thing we love our mojitos because it's a great way to control the mint!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I agree, mojitos are a great summery drink! Pass one my way!

myblissfulbites said...

Ohhh Mojitos yumm! Mint is such a crazy plant - it can get out of control! If you ever have some tequila around, add a small splash to your mojito - adds a great flavor (without tasting too much like tequila)