Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Easthampton Farmer's Market - Fresh produce, finally found!

I mentioned last week that I was a bit disappointed when I went to the Holyoke Farmer's Market and essentially found only asparagus and flowers for sale. I decided to give it another try today by heading down to Union Square in Easthampton for the Easthampton Farmer's Market. As you can see, it was a much nicer day today for the farmer's market. Not a cloud in site. And while there were a lot of flowers to be had - there was also a great variety of herbs, homemade jams and goodies and even a few early veggies (namely greens, asparagus and rhubarb).

There were about 5 different farms there today and I ended up buying from 3 of them. First, I got some fresh chives from Ravenwold Greenhouses (out of Florence/Northampton, MA). They had an incredible selection of herbs like basil, sage, rosemary, dill, tarragon, chives, parsley and oregano. They all smelled wonderful, but I tried to hold back, knowing that I'd be getting a lot of those herbs from the CSA I joined.

Next I moved on to get some jam from Stony Creek Farm (out of Montgomery, MA). As you'll see from the picture below, they had numerous jams, sauces and jarred vegetables, along with cookies, pies and breads. The baked goods were tempting, but I had something else in mind to make at home (don't worry - I'll get to that soon enough), so I resisted. I did pick up a jar of their Bumbleberry Jam, which is a mix of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Yum!

Lastly I spied a basket full of rhubarb from Intervale Farms (out of Westhampton, MA). I'd been waiting with baited breath for rhubarb to come into season, so I snatched some right up and headed home with my little mind scheming.

For a bit, I was thinking of creating some strawberry rhubarb tarts, but then I decided I wanted to do something to showcase the rhubarb alone. While not something most people want to eat raw, when cooked with a bit of sugar added, rhubarb is pretty tasty all on its own - no other fruity flavors needed. So what did I do with it? Well, I'll tell you it involves buttermilk, vanilla bean and sugar. Have I piqued your interest? Come back tomorrow for the recipe!

In the meantime, if you're looking for a farm or farmer's market in your area, check out Local Harvest (for listings nationwide) or Farm Fresh (for listings in MA, CT and RI).

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Nice. It always great to get some fresh produce. Especially fresh herbs. Just the smell of them and I'm in heaven.

Tangled Noodle said...

Sounds like a successful foray to the market! We're heading out to our local one this Saturday to buy some herbs for the garden. I hope they'll have more offerings than last week! Look forward to seeing your recipe.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

YAY! I am glad that you finally got some veggies!