Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spicy Stuffed Peppers

This recipe isn't as quick as some of my other weeknight recipes, but it's worth the extra work. I made some substitutions to make these a little healthier than many traditional recipes, but the changes don't compromise taste. And I love that everything comes in one neat little package at the end:

Spicy Stuffed Peppers
(Makes 2 large peppers or 4 small)

Ingredients:
2 large green peppers (or 4 small)
3 links sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 c. cooked rice
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/4 c. 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the tops off green peppers and remove seeds. Submerge the green peppers in the boiling water. Cook for 10-15 minutes until peppers start to soften.
Meanwhile, remove casings from sausage. Saute over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in rice and diced tomatoes (don't drain the tomatoes!).
When peppers are soft, remove them from the water and drain.
Stand peppers up in a lightly greased baking dish (a loaf pan works well).
Fill each pepper with half of sausage/rice mixture.
Top each with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Yum!! I love stuffed peppers.

I'm the same way. I don't mind making something that I know will be worth that extra time.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I haven't had stuffed peppers in ages, and I love the green chilies you put in yours. Looks great!

Tangled Noodle said...

I am all for any recipe that has both cheese and rice! Looks great!