Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pork Chow Mein - Without the Takeout Box

One of Mr. ValleyWriter's favorite Chinese foods is pork chow mein. Every time we get Chinese food, an order of it is a must. Like most everyone these days, we're trying to cut back on things like eating out, so I decided to make this Chinese treat on my own.

I found a simple recipe over at A Year of CrockPotting (I love the ease of the crockpot!). I made a few changes to suit our tastes and what we're used to having in chow mein. (Specifically, the chow mein we usually get is just celery, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, meat and crunchy noodles. The original crockpotting recipe has more veggies and suggests serving over pasta.)

Check out the link above for the original recipe or give my modified version a try. Either way, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Crockpot Pork Chow Mein

Ingredients:

1 lb. pork (I used sirloin cutlets)
8 oz. celery hearts, julienned
2 c. water
8 oz. bamboo shoots
2 c. fresh mung beans
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. molasses
Crispy chow mein noodles

Directions:
Place pork and julienned celery into the crockpot. Pour 2 c. water over the top, cover and set to low for 6-7 hours.
After pork has cooked, pull it apart into small pieces with forks.
Add bamboo shoots and mung beans to the crockpot.
In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and soy sauce until cornstarch is fully dissolved. Add in molasses and mix well.
Pour sauce over the top of meat and vegetables in crockpot, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
Top with crispy chow mein noodles to serve.

4 comments:

julie jams said...

That sounds real good!

Jenn said...

Nice! Chow mien is one of my favorite chinese dishes. Now I have a use for the crockpot that's been hiding in my kitchen. Woohoo...

Scate said...

With no decent chinese that delivers in my neighborhood - i've been working on making my own lately. This looks great and will be added to the rotation this week. Thanks - great blog!

lk- Health yDelicious said...

I dont think I've ever actually had chow mein. It sounds good though!