Monday, April 13, 2009

I planted something - and it grew!

That's right folks, ValleyWriter turned a bulb into a flower - all by herself! OK - I realize this isn't that big of a deal for most people, but for me, it is. I don't have a good track record with most plants - other than zucchini (which basically grows itself) and philodendron (which I think is virtually impossible to kill). But when we moved into our house last year (the first house either of us have owned), I decided plantings had to be done.

So last fall, I picked up a bunch of bulbs and diligently read the instructions on the back of the bags. Yup, that was my method for growing this fabulous new garden. No gardening books for me! Fortunately, it seemed to turn out well. Look - crocuses!

I also have some tulips shooting up! Exciting!

Flowers are the only thing I planted - or plan to plant - this year. Mr. ValleyWriter and I discussed doing a garden, but with my track record, I was afraid it would be a waste of money in seeds and tools. Instead, we joined our local CSA (community supported agriculture) farm - Mountain View Farm in Easthampton. For a really reasonable price (I thought), we get a share of the farm's crops for the season. They plan to have a wide variety of all-organic crops, including tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, beets, carrots, strawberries, watermelon and more!

Since moving to the Valley a couple of years ago, I've tried to visit a lot of farm stands and farmer's markets, but I have to admit, I've still bought a lot of grocery store produce (even when things were in season). So this year, I'm so excited to get fresh-from-the farm, organic, local veggies all summer long! If you're interested - it looks like they might still have shares to sell - go check out the Web site today. Only a month and a half until the first crops are ready!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

That's great. Those crocuses look beautiful. I have a little bit of a green thumb myself, just a teeny tiny bit.

It's always a good feeling when something you've diligently and patiently work worked on bring lovely results.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

yay!!! I have a horrible black thumb, so I know how exciting this is. I somehow managed to not kill the tulips I planted last year (they're coming up and I can just about see the buds now0 and I always manage very well with basil, cilantro and jalapenios (odd since I figured those would for sure die in upstate NYs weather).

curiousdomestic said...

Congratulations! You should try growing herbs; rosemary and oregano are very easy. Basil can be fussy (and attractive to slugs), but if you're interested in trying new veggies, I've had great success with carrots and green onions in a small garden patch. Good luck!

Tangled Noodle said...

They're beautiful! I haven't gathered up the nerve to even try flowers so you're way ahead of me. However, I've done great with herbs so I can't be that inept in the garden! 8-)