Sunday, April 5, 2009

Healthy & Delicious Turkey Burgers

Today was a sunny Spring day here in the valley - still a little chilly with the wind, but a nice change of pace nonetheless. And since the grill is no longer encased in 3 feet of snow - I decided to try to give the warmer weather a jump start by firing up the grill tonight.

I try not to eat (or serve) a lot of red meat to help keep our cholesterol in check, so I often substitute ground turkey for ground beef - including when making burgers. This often does not please Mr. ValleyWriter. And I have to agree, straight turkey burgers are a little lacking in flavor. So tonight I decided to experiment a little. It sounds strange, but I added apple, dried cranberries and feta to the ground turkey before forming the patties - and the burgers turned out great!

They were juicy and flavorful - and far from boring. This will definitely be a new staple in our house when grilling season gets into full swing. Give 'em a try!
You'll need:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 medium golden delicious apple, diced
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. crumbled feta
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Form into 4 hamburger patties. Grill over medium heat for 10 minutes. Flip burgers and grill another 10 minutes.
I served with a side of grilled asparagus. A yummy way to end a beautiful day!

6 comments:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

wow! these sound great with the apples and cranberries! very creative!

Jen Schall @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These sound great - I love to make turkey burgers! The grilled asparagus on the side looks wonderful. That's one of my favorites!

Kelly said...

I love a good turkey burger. Your burger looks like it would be super tasty.

Jenn said...

Yum!!! It's been a while since I've had a turkey burger. That looks really good right about now.

GrillinFools said...

Not sure I would've ever thought about adding fruit to a turkey burger!!! Very innovative. I may need to steal it for my site. I'll provide a link and put my own twist on of course!!!!

ValleyWriter said...

Steal away you GrillinFool! I know it sounds odd - but it's really good!