Sunday, March 1, 2009

Garlic White Wine Haddock & Roasted Asparagus

Mr. ValleyWriter has entered a pool with the guys at work to see who can lose 20 pounds first. Being the supportive wife that I am, asked Mr. ValleyWriter if that meant he wanted to make any changes in the type of food we eat. His reply? "Less carbs." Darn. I love my carbs. Pasta, rice, polenta, potatoes, bread - I want it all! But, I guess I can have that for breakfast & lunch and go lower-carb for dinner.


We began this little experiment last night. I found some nice haddock and fresh asparagus at the store and we had 1/2 a bottle of white wine to use up (there's no alcohol on Mr. ValleyWriter's new diet either), so I came up with a garlic white wine sauce for the fish and roasted the asparagus in olive oil and salt and pepper.


It turned out even better than I expected. I normally smother white fish in tartar sauce, but this garlic white wine sauce was wonderful all on its own. I bet it would be good on some other white fishes, too, like cod or tilapia. The asparagus came out just right - and it cooked right along with the fish, making this super easy. This dinner will definitely be making it into the regular rotation. Here's how I made it:


Garlic White Wine Haddock & Roasted Asparagus

Ingredients

For the fish:
2 haddock fillets (about 6 oz. each)
salt, pepper
1/3 c. flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. chives
1 tsp. parsley
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. dry white wine (I used a Chardonnay)


For the asparagus:
approx. 1 lb. asparagus
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper


Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To prepare the fish:
Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Coat in flour.

Place in 9 x 13 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Sprinkle with garlic, chives and parsley.

Cut butter into small chunks and place evenly over fillets.

Pour white wine over everything.


To prepare the asparagus:
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.

Rinse asparagus and snap the dry ends off.

Spread out on the cookie sheet in a single layer.

Drizzle with olive oil and roll asparagus to coat.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roll asparagus again to coat.


Put the asparagus in the oven on the top rack (set as high as it can go).

Put the fish in the oven on a middle rack.


Bake both for 14-15 minutes, turning asparagus 1/2 way through, until fish is flaky and asparagus is tender.

3 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I love fish but don't make it nearly as often as I should. The sauce for this dish sounds wonderful - more of a subtle complement than a smothering cover! Good luck to Mr. ValleyWriter on his nutrition quest!

Mediterranean Turkish Cook said...

That does look healthy. Fish and asparagus, my type of meal. You won't feel guilty eating this since it has so little calories. Great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)