Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My best turkey meatloaf yet!

We're on week 2 of the lower-carb diet and things are going well. I'm still trying to expand my food horizons, but decided to go back to an old comfort food tonight - meatloaf. I'm not big on red meat and I haven't had much success with ground turkey for meatloaf before (it always seems to turn out bland and mushy), but I decided to give it another try. I'm glad I did - this one turned out great.




I think the secret was the beef and onion soup mix - it added great flavor. I had part of a green pepper and a few lonely baby carrots in the fridge, so I threw those in, too. You could use whatever veggies you like (or none at all).

Here's the full recipe:

Tasty Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lb. ground turkey (93% lean)
1 egg
2-3 Tbsp. ketchup
1-2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. bread crumbs
1 envelope dry beef & onion soup mix
1/4 c. chopped green onion
1/4 c. grated carrots

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients with your hands until well blended.
Shape turkey mixture into a loaf in a 9" loaf pan.
Bake 55-60 minutes until turkey is cooked through.
Let sit 5 minutes before cutting (this keeps it from falling apart).

1 comment:

Mo Diva said...

thats a hearty lookin meatloaf!!