Monday, March 30, 2009

Leaping Horse Cabernet - Makes Mouths (and Wallets) Happy

Mr. ValleyWriter and I enjoy a glass or two of wine every now and then. (OK, so maybe like every other day or so.) But lately, like every one else, we've been trying to save some cash by cutting back. So, we've been trying to use up what we have in the house before buying more. This means Mr. ValleyWriter's been enjoying Mai Tais and rum & diet Dr. Peppers, and I've been abstaining. It's been nice to save $30-40 a week - but there's only so much a girl can take.


Enter the cheap wine. Today was a blah Monday. The weather was dreary, the stock market took a nose dive and work was, well, work. By the time end of the work day - I was more than ready to put my feet up and have a glass of wine. I was strolling the local co-op when I stumbled upon a display for Leaping Horse wine - 3 bottles for $18. It sounded like a steal - but would it taste any good? I decided to push my luck and grab a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. For $6, I didn't have much to lose.




I had trouble getting the cork out with our new fangled wine opener, but Mr. ValleyWriter assures me that's just operator difficulty - nothing to do with the wine itself. Pouring the glass, I noticed the wine was a little lighter than I expected. I often favor Chiantis, which are a heartier wine. But this wine was smooth and refreshing - with slightly tart/fruity notes of raspberry. The back of the bottle says it goes well with beef, red sauce and chocolate - the hallmark of an inexpensive wine. (The expensive wines don't tell you what to pair them with - you're just supposed to know. Snob, snob, snob.) I thought it stood up fine all on its own. I also think it's a good red to transition into summer with, since it's a little lighter.


Get it while it's hot (and cheap)!

1 comment:

lk- healthy delicious said...

I'll have to check this out- I love wine, and I just finished my last case of red (2 buck chuck, which is gross but cheap!)