Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Crustless Spinach, Bacon & Feta Quiche

It's day 4 of the lower carb experiment and, miraculously, I'm still alive. OK - so I may be exaggerating just a wee bit. I'm still eating plenty of carbs throughout the day, just going lower carb than usual at dinner. And I have to admit, it's actually been kind of fun to try out some new recipes (and dust off some old ones).

Tonight I made my first crustless quiche. To avoid going overboard on fat content, I swapped out some of the eggs for egg substitute and used 1% milk instead of the usual cream. It turned out super yummy. This might be my new quiche recipe regardless of carb concerns. I think the key was layering the fillings on the bottom first. It helped create a faux-crust to help the eggs hold together.


Crustless Spinach, Bacon & Feta Quiche

Ingredients:
1 slices center cut bacon
6 oz. fresh baby spinach
1 c. crumbled feta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 c. egg substitute
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. paprika

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet until crisp.
Remove bacon from skillet and set on paper towels to drain. Leave bacon drippings in the skillet. Add spinach leaves to the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes until wilted, stirring frequently.
Remove spinach from heat. Crumble bacon into the spinach.
Cover the bottom of the pie pan evenly with the bacon and spinach mixture.
Sprinkle feta over the top.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk and spices.
Pour over feta layer.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set and knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

Kat said...

A friend was just raving about a quiche she made the other day, but I did not want all the calories that comes with the crust. This looks great and I am going to try it over the weekend! P.S. I grew up in Northampton so it is nice to read your blog!