Monday, March 23, 2009

Chicken Piccata

Tonight, Mr. ValleyWriter did the cooking in the ValleyWriter household (a wonderful treat) and made an amazing chicken piccata.


He didn't measure out ingredients, but it was so good, I wanted to share. I've watched him cook this a few times, so I have an idea of the amounts he uses, but keep in mind the amounts below are approximate. (The recipe serves 2.)

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts (about 4-5 oz. each), pounded to about 1/2" thickness
sea salt
pepper
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. flour
3 Tbsp. olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. dry white wine
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. petite capers
1-2 tsp. parsley

Directions:
Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Sprinkle chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper. Coat with cornstarch, then with flour.
Place into the skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side, just until lightly browned (the middle will be pink - that's OK).
Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add another Tbsp. of olive oil to the pan. Add garlic and saute about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add chicken broth, white wine and lemon. Bring to a boil and let cook 5 minutes.
Place chicken back into the pan, cover and cook 10 minutes on medium-high heat. (The sauce should start to reduce down. If it reduces too much - add a little more wine or broth and turn the heat down.)
Sprinkle capers and parsley over the chicken and cook another 3-4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink the center.
Serve chicken with sauce poured over the top.

4 comments:

lk- healthy delicious said...

yum! I ove piccata

Kelly said...

First, how sweet is he!?!

Second, it looks amazing! I love chicken piccata. Yum!

Tangled Noodle said...

It looks marvelous! And he didn't measure? I'm armed to the gills with measuring spoons and cups! I'm thoroughly impressed - I wonder if I can get Mr. Noodle to make me something?

ValleyWriter said...

Show Mr. Noodle this post - you might guilt trip him into it :-)

I'm also amazed at Mr. ValleyWriter's ability to use a dash of this and a dash of that and come up with something great. The only drawback is that it's not always re-creatable. (That's why I watch him to get an idea of measurements!)