Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lazy, snowy Sunday

It's snowing - again.

I know this is New England, and while I've lived here my whole life, I can't help but continue to begrudge the snow come late February every year. The sad thing is, there's still a full official month of winter left - and it's not unheard of to have snow into early April. Alas, it's a good excuse to stay inside, cuddle up on the couch and chill out. That's exactly what the ValleyKitties are doing today:

(Piper & Zoe)

However, unlike the cats (and my husband), I can only do so much sitting around before I start to go stir crazy. So I decided to try out a new bread recipe. It came to me this morning when I was really craving French toast, but realized the only bread we had was multigrain and that just wouldn't do. I ended up going with oatmeal for breakfast, but couldn't get the idea of a yummy, sweet French toast bread out of my head. I decided to try to make a cinnamon swirl bread (almost like a cinnamon roll in bread form).

The results were delicious! I can't wait to try this out in French toast next weekend. (Or maybe we'll have to have breakfast for dinner one night this week... hmm.... not a bad idea at all.) I'll report back on how that works out. But even as just plain bread, this is yummy. Give it try!


Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Ingredients

Dough:
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. milk
1/4 c. applesauce (or 1 egg)
1 Tbsp. oil
2 2/3 c. flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. white sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

Filling:
2 Tbsp. butter
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Directions
Put dough ingredients into bread maker pan in the order listed. Set bread maker to dough cycle.
When dough cycle is up, remove dough from pan and place on well floured surface.
Melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
Punch down the dough and flatten out into a rectangle (about 12 inches long x 5 inches wide).
Spread the melted butter evenly on top of the dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over the top of the butter.
Roll the dough up lengthwise.
Place the dough seam side down and tuck the ends of the dough underneath.
Put dough into a lightly greased 10" loaf pan, cover with a warm cloth and let rise 30 minutes until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake bread for 30 minutes until top is golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.

3 comments:

Chef Erich said...

This sounds so good. What a great recipe for a cold winter day. Thanks!

healthydelicious said...

yum- I looooove homemade cinnamon bread. My mom used to make it when i was a kid and it was like the best thing ever!

I'm sick of this snow too. It started way too early this year,

Tangled Noodle said...

It sooo looks like a cinnamon roll, I want to drench it in some kind of sugar icing! Please let us know how it turns out as French toast. I love that the recipe uses a bread machine.