Friday, February 13, 2009

Cranberry Orange Muffins

Today is the Friday before a long weekend & the day before Valentine's Day, so I wanted to bring a special little goodie to work to help celebrate. I figured most people will get their fill of chocolate this weekend, so I decided to go a little healthier. As you know by now, I'm obsessed with Craisins®, so I decided to use them to make cranberry orange muffins. I have a mini-cheesecake pan that also makes cute little mini-muffins, so I actually made baby muffins.



(I made a double batch to make sure I'd have enough - there were plenty! I put the ones for work on a red platter in honor of V-day.)

Cranberry Orange Mini-Muffins
(Makes 12-14 muffins)

Ingredients
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. plus 2 Tbsp. orange juice
  • 2 tsp. orange zest (grated orange peel)
  • 3 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 Tbsp. hot water
  • 1 1/4 c. Craisins®
Directions
In a small bowl, soak Craisins® in 1/2 c. of orange juice for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease muffin pan or line with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine egg, 2 Tbsp. orange juice, zest, butter and water. Drain orange juice from the Craisins® into this liquid mixture.
Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and beat until well combined. Batter will be very thick.
Fold in Craisins®.
Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter.
Bake at 325 degrees for 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

The orange flavor deepens when you let these sit overnight. Just be sure to wrap them up tightly.

1 comment:

Craig Clarke said...

Oh, you made those? I had one; it was very good. I noticed the Craisins right away; the orange flavor was a pleasant surprise.