Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Simple Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

I'm not sure exactly what it is about bad weather that makes me want to break out the slow cooker, but it hardly ever fails. Maybe it's the thought of having a warm meal waiting for me after a long day of work, dealing with crazy drivers and shoveling snow... Or maybe it's that slow cooker foods are often comfort foods. Whatever it is, when I heard the weather forecast a few days ago calling for the snow/sleet/rain extravaganza we're having today, I decided some slow cooker pulled pork was in order.

This recipe serves at least 6, but if you need to serve more, just buy a bigger piece of pork.


Simple Slow Cooker Pulled Pork


Ingredients
3-3.5 lb. pork shoulder (also called a pork picnic)
1 bottle honey barbeque sauce
1 c. ketchup
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar

Directions
Place pork shoulder in the crock of your slow cooker, meat side down and fat side up. (Don't trim the fat before cooking. It will be removed later.)
Mix barbeque sauce, ketchup, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Pour over pork.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 10-12 hours until pork is falling apart. (If you need to speed the process up, cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, then set to low for 6-7 hours.)
Remove any bones and large hunks of fat from the pork, leaving only the meat. Using a fork, pull the meat apart until it's fully shredded.

I love to use this for pulled pork sandwiches (shown below with sweet potato fries), but it's also good served with a baked potato and some veggies. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've been craving pulled pork all day and just when I was about to start searching I checked your blog first and long behold I found what I've been craving! I can't wait to try it!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

ValleyWriter, this looks mouthwatering. I agree, there's something about slow cooked meals that are so perfect for inclement weather. I think it's the aroma that wafts through the kitchen as it cooks, making you anxious for that first mouthful. Stay warm and take care of yourself dear friend.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Oh wow, that looks so good and I agree perfect for the cold weather. Hope you are staying warm up there in the great white north! LOL!