Thursday, January 8, 2009

Maple Dijon Salmon

Like many other resoluters (or is it resolutites? resoluti?), I vowed to eat healthier this year. It's not that I need to lose weight or that my diet is really bad, but I know that I could stand to eat more vegetables, fish and beans and less desserts. Yes - dessert is really my weakness. I honestly would be happy to skip dinner most nights and head straight to dessert, but that's not exactly the best way to get your vitamins & nutrients!

This week, I brought a little bit of dessert to our dinner by making a maple Dijon salmon. It was quite simple and quite delicious. And since I served it with pea pods and broccoli & cheese rice - it fulfills 2 out 3 goals (more veggies & more fish).


Here's the salmon recipe:

Ingredients
1/4 c. pure maple syrup (locally made is always best!)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 salmon steaks (about 1 1/4 inch thick - approx. 1 lb.)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degree and spray 8 x 8 casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. Whisk over medium heat 2-3 minutes until mixture is runny and ingredients are fully mixed.
Place salmon steaks in casserole dish. Pour maple syrup mixture over steaks.
Cook salmon in oven for 12-14 minutes until fully cooked, flipping steaks over 1/2 way through cooking. Remove skin from salmon before serving (it should pull off easily with tongs if salmon is fully cooked.)

I fully admit to using frozen pea pods & rice (Green Giant® makes some pretty good sides!). When you can't get fresh local vegetables, the frozen ones are a pretty good substitute. Not too mention quick & easy!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Hey there Valley Writer. How's it going? Hope the weather is treating your body with kindness. I love this dinner. I'm not much of a seafood lover, but I do like salmon. Thanks for the recipe.

gastroanthropologist said...

Thanks for the recipe...will definitely try it soon. My aunt who lives in vermont just sent me some real maple syrup and I'm glad to have something other than pancakes to put it on!