Monday, January 12, 2009

Keep your New Year's resolution and eat cookies, too!

It should be pretty clear by now that I have a weakness for sweets. Unfortunately, sweets are often high in fat and low in fiber and other elements of good nutrition. I've really been trying to cut back on my sweets over the last week and a half, but I finally gave in to my craving for cookies tonight. Except this time I set out to create a healthier, lower-fat cookie that still tasted good.

I started with an old oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. In place of butter, I used pumpkin puree (which doesn't really have much flavor when used this way). I also cut down on the sugar and added an extra egg white for binding. I think not skimping out on the chocolate chips is the real trick. In the end, I got a cookie that's soft, chewy and chocolaty, yet low in fat and loaded with fiber. Give them a try!



Low-Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip New Year's Resolution Cookies
(Makes 3 dozen)

Ingredients
1 c. pumpkin puree (still working on my freezer stash of pumpkins from Fletcher's in Southampton!)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. old-fashioned oats
1 c. chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Blend pumpkin and sugars until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg, egg white and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
Beat flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
Bake 12-15 minutes until cookies are browned and set.

2 comments:

Daily Spud said...

That sounds like my kind of resolution - yum!

Maris said...

These sound great - except I'd probably eat a dozen of them, negating any "not that bad for you" qualities the cookies have!