Friday, January 16, 2009

Creamy Pumpkin Soup with a Kick

Not sure if it's my RA or if I've been grinding my teeth again at night, but my jaw has been pretty sore the last couple of weeks, so I put myself on a soft foods diet this week. Mr. ValleyWriter is about soup-ed out, but even he enjoyed this creamy, spicy pumpkin soup tonight (for the 2nd time this week, no less).

I made this with the last of the frozen pumpkin puree I had from the fall and some of the turkey stock I froze after Thanksgiving, but it can also be made with canned pumpkin (about 3 of the 15 oz. cans) and canned chicken broth. Be warned - this makes a lot of pumpkin soup - at least 6 large main dish servings.

Kicked Up Pumpkin Soup
Ingredients
3 Tbsp. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
6 cups pumpkin puree
5 cups turkey stock
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup fat-free half and half

Directions
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic an saute 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir in spices and cook another 1-2 minutes.
Add the pumpkin puree and turkey stock to the saucepan. Stir well to blend. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove saucepan from heat and puree soup in blender in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan.
Over low heat, add the brown sugar and stir until fully dissolved. Slowly pour in the milk and cream. Stir until well blended.
For a little extra pizazz, you can drizzle some of the half and half over the soup before serving:


2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Hey there Valley Writer, how's the weather treating you? Love this pumpkin soup. So glad I can make it with canned pumpkin. Hope your holidays were fantastic and your health is doing ok. Thanks for the soup recipe. I'm a soup kind of gal. Just made Mexican Chicken soup for my sniffles. :)

Daily Spud said...

Just the thing for this time of year!