Monday, December 1, 2008

More Cookie Blitz Testing! This Time: White Chocolate Chip Craisin® Cookies

Christmas is just over 3 weeks away - so I really better figure out what I'm making for my cookie blitz. My plan right now is to make toffee, sugar cookies, gingersnaps and white chocolate chip cranberry cookies. But, before 2 weeks ago, I'd only ever made the sugar cookies. So, I figured I should test out the other cookies before I make big batches. The latest trial was:

White Chocolate Chip Craisin® Cookies
(Makes 2 dozen)

Ingredients
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter, softened
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
3/4 Tbsp. brandy
3/4 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. white chocolate chips
1 c. Craisins®

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Add egg, brandy and vanilla extract. Beat well.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
Add the flour and baking soda to the creamed sugar mixture. Beat on low to medium speed until fully mixed.
Stir in white chocolate chips and Craisins®.

Drop dough by tablespoon fulls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 9-10 minutes until cookies are set but still a little doughy-looking in the middle. (Don't let them get too brown or they'll end up being really hard).





I thought these were pretty good, but maybe a little too sweet. I brought most of them to work and they seemed to go over well, but I think I might still try reducing the sugar to 1/3 c. light brown and 1/3 c. white next time.

Though, on second thought, these were pretty good with a bowl of vanilla ice cream, so maybe all I need is a glass of milk. Hmm.... think I'll have to go taste test some more! :-)

5 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Valley writer, these cookies are calling to me. "Eat me, Eat me." They sound so delicious. My daughter and I have really gotten into the Craisins Craze lately. So, I'll be making these cookies.

ValleyWriter said...

Craisins are addictive, aren't they? I love coming up with new ways to cook with them!

Spoon It On said...

Hi, what does the brandy do? Does it give it flavour? I'm not a big drinker and don't cook with alcohol usually, so please excuse my ignorance. :)

ValleyWriter said...

Spoon It On -
Yes, the brandy is just for flavor. The flavor is very subtle -but it is different than using, say, all vanilla extract. However, if you don't cook with alcohol or have it on hand - you can absolutely just double the vanilla extract and leave out the brandy.
~ValleyWriter

Raaga said...

I have got to try this one out.