Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Flame-free S'mores

I have been craving s'mores for about a week now. I don't know why exactly, but I just couldn't get them out of my mind. Unfortunately, there will be no campfires in my future anytime soon (despite my predictions of summer weather on the way earlier today, I highly doubt we'll see any of that for at least 5-6 more months).

Never fear! I was a Girl Scout (I even got the Gold Award - the equivalent of Eagle Scout), and we know our s'mores, so I just came up with these flame-free s'mores. I used mini marshmallows and chocolate chips because I had some in the cupboard, but the typical large marshmallows and chocolate bars would work, too.


Flame-free S'mores (for 1)
Ingredients
1 full graham cracker
1 Tbsp. chocolate chips
8 mini marshmallows


Directions
Break the graham cracker in half into 2 squares. Put one half on a microwave-safe plate and top with chocolate chips:Microwave on high for about 30 seconds. (Chips won't look very melted, but they are - don't worry!) Top chips with marshmallows:

Microwave on high for another 5-10 seconds. (Watch carefully and if the marshmallows start to puff a lot, take it out.) Top with remaining graham cracker half and press down lightly until chocolate and marshmallows just starts to come out the sides:

Eat quickly before your husband comes in the kitchen to see what you're making... oh wait, maybe that was just me :-)

I have to say, while they are lacking that unique charred campfire flavor, these are still pretty darn good. For my next one (and yes, there will be a next one - probably as soon as I finish this post), I think I'll try spreading peanut butter on one side. Mmm... peanut butter, chocolate and marshmallows - how could you go wrong?!

2 comments:

lisa (dandysugar) said...

S'mores always bring me back to a very happy place...so comforting and yummy. Yours look great!

Heather said...

Whenever my husband and I are craving s'mores, we toast the marshmallows over the flame of our gas burners. Again, not quite the same as a campfire, but pretty darn good!