Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - The Pumpkin Episode

With this being my first fall in my first-ever home, I felt an intense need to decorate our porch in some way. Rather than going all-out for Halloween, I decided to do a more understated fall look, central to which were local pumpkins. So a couple of weeks ago, we headed out to Fletcher Farm in Southampton to pick out the perfect orange orbs.







I thought we'd get 2 - one for each side of the porch... but we ended up going a little pumpkin wild - deciding to do a tiered display with 6 pumpkins of varying sizes:

It just happened to work out that the perfect pumpkins for the front were small sugar pumpkins, which are also perfect for baking. With Halloween come and gone and the frosts threatening the take the pumpkins out for good anyway, I rescued the sugar pumpkins from the front steps for my latest little "recycling" efforts.

That's right - reusing porch decorations for baking! Since I use a lot of fresh pumpkin puree in my recipes, I thought I'd take this recycling opportunity to explain how to make it. It's simple once you know how.

First step - wash your pumpkins off well. Then cut them in half and scoop out the seeds and the stringy guts. Place them face down on a baking sheet, like this:

Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the flesh is soft. Allow the pumpkin to cool until you can easily handle it. Scoop the flesh out into your food processor bowl or blender. Puree until smooth (it should look like baby food).

That's it! I got just over 6 cups of pumpkin puree from my 2 little pumpkins, so now I have a nice supply in the freezer for the rest of the season. Stay tuned for more yummy pumpkin recipes!

1 comment:

Summer said...

Nice blog..i am waiting for your recipes using the pureed pumpkins in it...do you use it instead of butter or fat in your recipe?
i make one recipe of pureed pumpkin, i mix it with tahini sauce (sesame seed butter) dress it with lemon juice and one crushed clove of garlic and salt, finish it off by drizzling olive oil on top, garnish with cut parsley...it tastes so much like hummus!