Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baking makes winter a little more bearable (but only a little)

Yes, I know we have over a month to go before the official start of winter, but I saw snowflakes today, which means winter in my book. Some celebrate the coming of the snow. I am not one of those people. Sure, the first snowfall is pretty, but when you know there's 4 more months of it to come, it starts looking a little less pretty real quick!

Fortunately, there are plenty of wonderful recipes to keep me through the winter. Not only does baking help me relieve stress, the warm of the oven helps warm up the house and the warmth of fresh baked goods helps warm up my belly - a triple win situation!

Tonight's recipe - pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. These are soft, bready cookies - great for eating with a cup of warm cocoa or tea. I have even been known to eat them for breakfast (they have pumpkin; that makes them healthy, right?!). Enjoy!




Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softenened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.

In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla and beat until creamy.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop dough onto greased cookie sheets, using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough per cookie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until cookies are fully set in the center.

2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Super cookie recipe Valley Writer. I'll have to try it. I just got some "cocoa" spice tea that I would love to drink with a delicious cookie. I think I'll make it yours.

Nirvana said...

These look wonderful (and I share your sentiments on winter) :)