Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bachelorette Vegetarian Lasagna

Mr. valleywriter is away on business for a few days, so I'm living the single life again. Back in my bachelorette days, dinner was usually an after thought - I'd pull together something from the odds and ends in my cabinets & fridge and call it dinner (saltines and a can of green beans - why not?!). These days, I normally plan a full 7 dinners once a week and make sure they're well rounded with veggies, starch & protein. But Mr. valleywriter left town on grocery shopping night and going to the store seemed like a lot of effort for 1 person, so I figured I'd play the single gal and scrounge the depths of my fridge for something edible.

Turns out my fridge is stocked a lot better than it was back in my bachelorette days. I found a green pepper, a red pepper, carrots, an open container of ricotta cheese and some parmesan & mozzarella cheese. I opened up the cabinet and lo-and-behold, there sat 1/2 a box of lasagna noodles and a jar of spaghetti sauce. Can you say vegetarian lasagna?! Sweet!

I didn't actually measure anything, so these are guesstimates, but here's what I'd say I used:
1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 cup shredded mozzarella
9 lasagna noodles
1 jar pasta sauce
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
3/4 cup carrots, chopped

I combined the sauce & veggies in a saucepan and let them simmer while the water was boiling for the lasagna noodles. I mixed together the ricotta, parmesan and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and added a tablespoon of milk to help it stick together (no eggs!). I cooked the lasagna noodles for 12 minutes while the oven was preheating to 350 degrees.

After the noodles were cooked & drained, I put 3 of them in the bottom of a small casserole dish, spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles and topped that with 1/3 of the sauce. I repeated another layer of noodles, ricotta & sauce, topped with a final layer of just noodles & sauce. Then I sprinkled on the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella.

I baked it for 40 minutes until the cheese was nice and bubbly.

It came out delicious! And it made enough to feed me for the rest of the time Mr. valleywriter is away. I wish cooking were this easy all the time!

1 comment:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

That sounds great Amber! I love your inventiveness! :)