Monday, November 3, 2008

All-American Apple Cake

I know what you're thinking. The saying is usually "all-American apple pie" - not all-American apple cake. But apple pie is more befitting of the 4th of July in my mind, so I decided to celebrate this election eve with a twist on that old favorite.


Apple cake is one my fall favorites - perfect for dessert or snacking - or even a quick breakfast. This recipe makes a very moist, delicious cake that's almost quick bread-like. It holds up well even after a couple of days on the counter. And believe it or not - it's pretty healthy as far as cakes go. My nutritional calculations estimate each piece (1/12 of a Bundt cake) has about 220 calories, 6 grams of total fat (less than 1 gram saturated) and 1.5 grams of fiber.


All-American Apple Cake


Ingredients:

2 eggs

1/4 cup oil

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups apples, peeled & chopped



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a Bundt pan.

Beat eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Mix in egg mixture by hand until well combined. Mixture will be thick like muffin batter.

Fold in apples until well distributed. Pour into greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.













At the risk of being political - I have just one more thought to share. It occurred to me tonight on the way home that this will only the 3rd ever Presidential election I've been eligible to vote in. And then it occurred to me that in the last 2, my votes were not so successful.... This left me betwixt and between 2 old sayings my mother was fond of - "Third time's the charm" and "Bad things come in threes." My mood perhaps brightened by a piece of yummy cake, I've decided to predict "Third time's the charm" will be the saying that wins out tomorrow. We shall see!

Update: Third time is the charm! We'll have to give thanks for this cake and it's lucky charm properties at Thanksgiving. Check out this recipe and other alternative T-day recipes at the Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipe Carnival, hosted by Fun & Food Cafe

4 comments:

lisa from dandysugar said...

I've been thinking about a cake exactly like this. Sounds like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

That is one delicious looking cake, my friend!

valleywriter said...

Thank you - I promise it's just as yummy as it looks, if not more so!

Mansi said...

I loved your apple cake twist!:) I prefer cakes to pies anyday!:) it'd be great if you could send this in for my vegetarian thanskgiving recipe event!!:)